Shooting Film around the Bay

By October 2, 2014Blog, Film

Shooting Film around the Bay

ย I often wonder how many other people are still shooting film around the Bay of Plenty, is there anyone else out there??? ย It’s rare to see a fellow photographer out and about in these parts let alone another analogue geek…..

The shots in this post were all taken a couple of weeks ago and have once again been developed by me, in the Jobo, earlier this week as it happens, the joy’s of being in control! I have to say I’m pretty confident with it now, having developed a dozen rolls from my recent travels in the last few days alone, I’m so pleased I got it. I’m still using up the C41 chemicals from the Digibase pre-mixed kit, they will be depleted shortly then it’s on to some slightly more advanced chemistry.

Shooting Film 1

Shooting Film 2

Shooting Film 3

Pausing for a moment at this small Catholic chapel it seems like an appropriate place to make a confession. In this recent post I intimated that I would shortly be writing up my scanning workflow, this is still going to happen, it just won’t be my current workflow.

If I’m not making sense that’s because a new scanner is now sitting beside my desk, the V700, the Reflecta Proscan 7200 and the Canoscan FS400US are all still here, pending sale.

To use some plain English, scanning has been “doing my head in” for ages. Whilst I wasn’t unhappy with the scanners I had it was always in the knowledge that I, like many other scanner owners wasย tolerating their shortcomings.

I’d been exploring other options for some time, I got close to acquiring a Fuji Frontier, only to be denied at the final hurdle, despite having redundant scanners, Fuji NZ won’t sell them. I then considered once again the Plustek OpticFilm 120 and the Braun FS 120, these aren’t cheap and deep down I was still sure they’d disappoint me. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Pakon F135, this is a scanner that has really impressed me and seems to be gaining a lot of popularity despite only used units being sold. If you need a dedicated 35mm scanner for under $400 including shipping I’d give these some serious consideration. At this point something unexpected happened…..

So, what scanner have I bought? Well, I’ve gone retro scanner to match my retro cameras!!! I’ve picked up an Imacon 848, it’s just had a full service by Hasselblad and it’s in great shape, built like a tank. It comes with 13 film holders of various configurations and the Batch Feeder. I’m still getting to grips with the FlexColor software and all the images in the post are from the Imacon. I’ve made progress with the software but there is some way to go and I’ve quite possibly got a problem I never envisaged I would have, maybe some of the images are too sharp, again something to work on.

Shooting Film 4

Shooting Film 5

Shooting Film 6

Shooting Film 7

This was actually the last shot I took with the Leica M6, as I knelt down to take it I noticed the rangefinder was out of alignment, my first issue of this nature on any of my M’s. The M6 is currently in the hands of Youxin Ye, getting a CLA.

Shooting Film 8

Shooting Film 9

Shooting Film 10

Shooting Film 11

Shooting Film 12

All images taken on Agfa Vista 200 and Kodak Ektar 100 with the Leica M6 – 35mm Summilux f/1.4 Asph and 50mm Summilux f/1.4 Asph.

My setup is complete, time to shoot more film!ย

Well done mate. Really nice to see the natural tones of film and normal dynamic range. Film is the original HDR. Especially evident in the chapel shot. Glad you’re “enjoying” the Imacon. I’m not familiar with a batch apparatus. When I used one it was very tedious to mount individual frames of film in the holders. The end quality, when correctly processed, is unbeatable.

Hey John,

I’m definitely pleased with where they are headed and I’m most certainly “relieved” to at last be able to see the detail and resolution in the film. I’m looking forward to scanning some MF neg’s soon with luck. I gave the batch feeder a quick run out, I can see it may be useful but in truth I almost prefer to pick through my negatives with the Kaiser LED first as apposed to scanning en-mass. I certainly can’t proclaim that every shot on a roll is a keeper!!!

• Anjolie says:

Nice work and you’ve got me very interested in developing my own negatives. Something to ponder for now. I did like how you mentioned that the images were too sharp. Amazing how film can surpass digital in that area. That’s something I usually try to avoid – ultra sharpness. It just seems unreal sometimes, but that’s my personal taste. Love your work and your articles! I will look into the alternatives you’ve mentioned regarding scanners and I’m also looking forward to hearing about your new work flow as well!

Hey Anjolie,

Thanks, I’m happy to encourage you!! I have at least found a sense of relief that I am now able to see the detail and resolution present in the film, at least it can now by choice to reign it in a little which I will most likely do.

It’s good to hear you are enjoying the site. You should definitely take a look at the Pakon especially as I think I recall you’re in the US. Join this group on FB, there are some great examples of scans and loads of support now it’s becoming more mainstream.

• Well done Jason. You’re a hero to go back to film. Not sure I could. The great thing about photography is that we have so many retro aspects we can learn about.
    I love your photos of the pheasants and the little pizza van in particular – oh, and the old bus. True gems to find.
    I came across your blog only recently and it’s all good stuff. Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

More of a nut than a hero I suspect ๐Ÿ™‚

There’s much to learn from the past in every sense and it pleases me that younger generations are at least becoming curious about our analog heritage, photographic or otherwise.

Pleased you’re enjoying the site.

• Geoff Brown says:

Hi Jason, nice to see a few local scenes that I recognise – and several I don’t – well done. I am based in Tauranga, having moved back in Feb after 19 years away. I am strictly a keen amateur and haven’t done anything on film since quitting my RZ kit a few years ago, but I have toyed with getting back into it. My current shooter is a Canon P with a Jupiter-8 up front – half decent starting point I figure, though I’m not sure how long I will last on sunny 16. I had wondered about getting in touch. Do you do meet ups?

Hi Geoff,

Well as I’m only a keen amateur as well, that makes two of us ๐Ÿ™‚

That’s a very good starting point to getting back in to film, I think I’d fancy a little VCII meter on that although as it’s mostly always sunny here you should be fine! Always happy for people to get in touch and equally so to arrange meet ups so drop me a line.

• Andrew says:

Hi Jason, only just came across you site & blog, good work & a nice read. Nice to see some local passion for film. From time-to-time I head down the East Coast with MF & LF cameras and a stack of film, so us analogue geeks are out there alive and well ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers,
    Andrew

Hey Andrew, Thanks for stopping by.

I understand the draw of the East Coast, it’s a magical place, great to know there are more analog “geeks” out there!!

• Ricky Lai says:

Nice series ~

what with the chickens being hung upside down? ๐Ÿ˜›

Thanks Ricky,

They are Pheasants, I’m not a 100% sure but I think they hang them to improve the flavour… ๐Ÿ˜‰

• David says:

Great shots! I’m curious what scanning software you use. I have an epson v600 and want to get the most of it. Thanks!

David

Thanks David.

On these I was playing around with my new scanner, the Imacon 848 so I used the FlexColor software to make some basic adjustments and then tweaked in LR5. When I had my Epson V700 I used Vuescan and Silverfast on and off without being able to settle on any one of them for quite some time. Ultimately I would have to say I preferred Vuescan followed by Lightroom so I’d go that route if I were you.

• Jun says:

Very nice photos! I’m using the digital camera for my work all the time, because customers think that’s convenient. But some of my friends still use film camera. They think film is much better than the digital.

Hi Jun,

Thanks!! Well I use digital too for that very reason, sometimes you need convenience! ๐Ÿ™‚ I would never try to argue that film is better but I have to say it is a little bit special, maybe give it a go for your personal work and see what you think.

Enjoy!!