Film – I Love You!!

By June 26, 2014 Blog, Film 13 Comments
Film - I Love You 15

Film – I Love You!!

Well the good news for me is that I’m slowly getting back to some sort of photographic routine, the bad news for you is that I’ve spent an hour this morning in the archive…

I’ve put together a post of random film images, nothing groundbreaking or amazing, just images that made me smile and in some cases laugh! or images that just gave me that warm fuzzy feeling!! I guess they all reminded me in some way of why I love film so much.

Film - I Love You 1

I won’t list the cameras and lenses these shots were taken with as I just don’t recall that information for every shot, in any case it’s not important. What I do know is it’s a mixture of 35mm and Medium Fortmat shots from films such as – Portra 400, Fuji Astia 100F, Ilford HP5+400, Kodak Ektacolour, AGFA Vista 200, Ektar 100 and Fuji Neopan 400.

Film - I Love You 3

Film - I Love You 2

Film - I Love You 6

Film - I Love You 5

Film - I Love You 10

Film - I Love You 7

Film - I Love You 8

Film - I Love You 9

This made me smile and laugh! The lady in this shot was waiting patiently for her partner to take a her photograph, he continued to mess about with the settings on the back of his DSLR, I held up my M6, she did a fun pose and I was gone, he didn’t even look up……

Film - I Love You 4

Film - I Love You 18

Film - I Love You 19

Film - I Love You 20

Film - I Love You 21

Film - I Love You 22

Film - I Love You 23

I made a promise some time ago to give more details on my particular film scanning workflow, this isn’t forgotten.

The truth is, as things currently stand I am in fact unable to settle on a specific workflow and certainly I’ve come to realise it will never be quite that simple. Furthermore, because I have three good scanners, several pieces of scanning software and multiple film types in use there are many, many variables. It will come though!! I’d also like to take this opportunity once more to urge others to share their own workflow, I’ll happily host it here, along with full credits, sample images etc.

Film - I Love You 24

Film - I Love You 25

Film - I Love You 26

I’m not generally one for looking back through my images, certainly I never ever reprocess an image. It has to be said not all of these are old images but it was surprisingly theraputic looking back at the few from years ago. I’m reminded that I shoot film because I love film, it’s really that simple.

Just a final note for any of you film shooters in Australasia, a friend of mine has launched an exciting new initiative in a bid to make some of the more popular films available at prices similar to those is the US, you can find all the details at the aptly named  www.ffs.org/ website.

I know for a fact that a lot of hard work has gone in to the Film For Sale website in a very short space of time, please take time to check it out and more importantly to support it.

There will inevitably be those who believe this is to the detriment of retailers who still sell film, I know here in NZ there are some outlets that sell a very limited range of films, whilst I obviously applaud this, one can’t help but see it as little more than a token gesture as the prices are in many cases almost double that of the online retailers. The notion of reducing margins with a view to increasing sales volumes appears to be an alien one in these parts….

• Avesh says:

Great to hear you’re on the mend Jason, and lovely shots that you’ve chosen to share. I particularly like your opportune shot of the lady waiting for her husband to fumble the dslr. I would have been the fumbler on many occasions!

Hope the healing comes along quickly and looking forward to a flurry of posts :-)

Take care!

• lepetitphotoblog says:

Excellent, the roman with his smartphone.

• Andy Gemmell says:

Great stuff Jason. Funny I was just going through some old images the other day and thinking exactly the same thing! Maybe because I now have no digital outlet (except my iPhone :-)). I’m just starting tomorrow morning to try and get some shooting routine back in place and very excited.

Some really great images in here.

I can also vouch for http://www.ffs.org and am a customer and very happy.

Hey Andy,

I hope your recovery is on track.

I haven’t picked up a digital camera for about 5 months now, don’t miss it. If I had any sense I’d sell the M9, MM and Sony A7r….

I too have bought from http://www.ffs.org great value and really fast delivery.

All the best.

• Jordi says:

Nice to see you back. As fas I saw in the blog you had to take some time off, I was crazy busy with university yet managed to do some shooting.
    Love those shots, the backlit men shooting #2, the rice field, the lady pose (highlight of the series as far I see), your son portraits, and the man in the bar looking at the TV are my favourites. Well, frankly I like all of them!

In the meantime I got myself a Fuji 6×9 and developed a long sitting roll of portra 400 in my OM1. Oh my godness! The former has a huge negative [slide :) ] and the latter has brought me a few beautiful portraits (Portra 400 @200).
    I could say that I forgot a bit what film can do, but I love what I have gotten with these.

And got a Samsung S4, that as many flagship phones, has a decent camera. That is my snapshooting thing. Digital connectivity that goes along with the instant+fast needs for sharing… Not even the mirrorless can compete with this.
    Turn out I ended up with a quite surprising combo of Film+Smartphone, was skeptical a few months back.

Sadly student budget with no income keeps me very slow on this, BUT I’ll keep on going. That 6×9 8 exp per roll can be a fast way to go broke, but it’s a healthier vice than others I guess.

Hi Jordi,

Thanks, my leg is now perfect, the same can’t be said for the other one…

I read your paragraph regarding the Fuji 6×9, OM1 and Portra 400, even I got excited.

Keep shooting, like you say, there are worse vices….I line I use with my wife when explaining yet another purchase!! :-)

• Stephen Zane says:

Personally, I’ve decided, to hell with scanning color film. It’s mind mindbogglingly time consuming, and I’ve only rarely reach or surpassed the level of high end lab scans.
    So. my workflow for color film is simply send film out to Indie Film Lab here in the States (trying out FIND lab as well now) get my finished scans a week or so later,
    and spend a minute or two doing final adjustments in post. Black and white I do still scan on my v600 though, to generally quite acceptable results.

Your scans do generally look wonderful though, so hats off to you for that!

– Stephen

Hey Stephen,

Well I know where you’re coming from with that for sure, I keep persevering though.

I’ve just about settled on a scanning workflow now, details in the next few posts.

• darrin says:

Nice work 99. These photos also put a smile on my dial. Cheers

• Dan Hawk says:

I just found your site today, and have been browsing through. The images in this post are really great. I too am spending more time shooting film lately and really love the process and feeling of the whole film process- from composing to final prints. As I’m new here I don’t know if you ever did put up the post on your scanning process. Looking forward to reading it.

Hey Dan,

Thanks, I’m pleased you found the website.

Film just draws you in, that’s not to say it can’t be frustrating….I actually can’t remember the last time I picked up a digital camera, which does raise a few issues given I have money tied up in three!

I haven’t posted anything on scanning yet but it will be up in the next couple of weeks.