Film Heaven or Hell……?

By March 4, 2013 Blog, Film

Film Heaven or Film Hell – Leica M6 – 15mm Voigtlander Super Wide Heliar f/4.5 – Fuji ASTIA 100F selected by the Editors as a Leica Fotografie International (LFI) Master Shot. \

Film Scanning

Well, the postman arrived this morning bearing gifts, so I made a decision to delay the post I had prepared and publish a little bit of Film Heaven instead. Several scans in to the process and I was prompted to extend the title of the post to include the word “Hell”……..

In essence the more I scan, the less satisfied I am with the results of my scanner and it’s ability to deliver a level of detail and sharpness that is going to be acceptable in the longer term. I’ve given a commitment to shoot more film over the course of this year and with close to 200 rolls keeping cool in the fridge it’s going to be a very long year with my current scanning arrangement.

In fairness, I had read the feedback and reviews of the Canoscan 9000f before I bought it, I did however allow myself to be seduced by it’s price tag. I guess at the time I had not fully committed to film shooting. Of course, all of that is now history and urgent action is going to be required!! I’d welcome you to share your thoughts and experiences with scanning here.

Despite my frustrations and having come very close to terminating the electronic heartbeat of the Canoscan with a cricket bat, I persevered.

Right, where were we!!

A couple of weeks after Christmas we tootled off on one of our annual camping expeditions, if your thinking the word “expedition” sounds a little over the top you’ve clearly never seen us camping…….and I can categorically state that the abundance of amazing wineries had nothing to do with our decision to spend a week in Hawkes Bay on New Zealand’s east coast.

As part of my commitment to shoot more film and become a more accomplished film photographer I quite literally forced myself to take only two film cameras on the trip, also as a precaution against the loss of any equipment whilst camping I steered myself towards lower value and less used lenses.

In my Bag:

• Leica M6
  • Leica M3
  • 50mm Canon f/1.4
  • 28mm Voigtlander Ultron f/1.9
  • 15mm Voigtlander Super Wide Heliar f/4.5
  • Gossen Pilot Meter
  • Fuji Astia 100F & Fuji Provia 50

I can’t remember the last time I went away without a digital camera and there were certainly strong feelings of apprehension and doubt but I’m pleased I did. Had I not done so, digital would have dominated as it has a tendency to do sometimes.

Post Processing Note –

There is little point in me elaborating on anything I have done in Silverfast 8 at the moment until I resolve the scanner issue and settle on a workflow. All of the images here have been edited in LR4 with the following adjustments 1. White Balance 2. Tone Curve 3. Clarity and the Adjustment Brush from SLR Lounge.

Landscapes –

Image 1 – Leica M6 – 15mm Voigtlander Super Wide Heliar f/4.5 – Fuji ASTIA 100

FIlm Scanning - Film Heaven or Hell 1

FImage 2 – Leica M3 – 50mm Canon f/1.4 – Fuji Velvia 50

FIlm Scanning - Film Heaven or Hell 2

Image 3 – Leica M3 – 50mm Canon f/1.4

FIlm Scanning - Film Heaven or Hell 3

My vision of the next scene was a B&W one, not necessarily easy when you only have color film in the camera……..despite this and the flat light I took the shot regardless, here it is –

Image 4 – Leica M3 – 28mm Voigtlander Ultron f/1.9

FIlm Scanning - Film Heaven or Hell 4

Being convinced there was a decent B&W image in the shot above I just could not help myself, yes I had to attempt to recreate the B&W scene I could visualise. Processing in LR4 and Silver Efex Pro 2 –

Image 5 – Leica M3 – 28mm Voigtlander Ultron f/1.9 B&W Conversion in LR4 & Silver Efex Pro 2

FIlm Scanning - Film Heaven or Hell 5

You will of course recognise the tree again from Image 2, I had a few attempts at this particular scene, there was just something very appealing about this tree!!! I’ll typically try several compositions around a particular scene, here I made an effort to return the following day with better light and a more dramatic sky than was the case with image 2.

Image 6 – Leica M3 – 28mm Voigtlander Ultron f/1.9  – Fuji Velvia 50

FIlm Scanning - Film Heaven or Hell 6

Image 7 – Leica M3 – 28mm Voigtlander Ultron f/1.9  – Fuji Velvia 50

FIlm Scanning - Film Heaven or Hell 7

I’m building up to a post on the Canon 50mm f/1.4 and this seemed like a good opportunity to get to know it better, previously I have only used it on the Leica M9 and MM. Lens flare is often a feature of these older lenses so I got up a little earlier one morning and shot it in to the sun!!

Image 8 Leica M3 – 50mm Canon f/1.4 Fuji ASTIA 100F

FIlm Scanning - Film Heaven or Hell 8

Image 9 Leica M3 – 50mm Canon f/1.4 Fuji ASTIA 100F

FIlm Scanning - Film Heaven or Hell 9

Image 10 Leica M3 – 50mm Canon f/1.4 Fuji ASTIA 100F

FIlm Scanning - Film Heaven or Hell 10

Friends and Family

I’ve just included a small selection of these because viewing them takes me back to my childhood, they have a character that is so evidently missing from most digital holiday snaps. I for one will continue to shoot film on family occasions and excursions because the love and joy are almost tangible as is the genuine sense of nostalgia coupled with a feeling of actually being present.

Image 11 – Leica M6 – 50mm Canon f/1.4 – Fuji ASTIA 100F

FIlm Scanning - Film Heaven or Hell 11

Image 12 – Leica M3 – 50mm Canon f/1.4 – Fuji Provia 50

FIlm Scanning - Film Heaven or Hell 12

Image 13 – Leica M6 – 50mm Canon f/1.4 – Fuji ASTIA 100F

FIlm Scanning - Film Heaven or Hell 13

Image 14 – Leica M6 – 50mm Canon f/1.4 – Fuji ASTIA 100F

FIlm Scanning - Film Heaven or Hell 14

One thing that always astounds me about photography is that the learning process is relentless and this trip was quite fruitful in terms of increasing my personal knowledge and understanding. I’m keen to produce a post on analogue workflow but it isn’t going to happen until I resolve my scanner scenario.

So, what did I learn –

• Canon Canoscan 9000f – I won’t go on about this but needless to say I am looking at options now.
  • Fuji Astia 100F and Provia 50 – This is the first occasion I have shot either of these films, I still have a lot to learn about them but they are stunning films, I’m fortunate to have more to go at. Seeing the vivid colors of those negatives was heart warming and exciting in equal measure. All my colour films are developed by Film Soup in Wellington.
  • Leica M6 – My go to film camera, it has a great built in meter which I totally trust, that is worth a lot….of course I already knew this but it’s reassuring all the same!
  • Leica M3 – Rock solid and a great partner to the M6. It’s always rewarding when your metering is successful!!
  • Gossen Pilot – Cheap, reliable and easy to use.
  • Voigtlander 15mm Super Wide Heliar f/4.5 – Without a doubt this is one of my favorite lenses, I only used it the once on this trip but I don’t leave home without it – You can read my User Report on this lens – HERE
  • Voigtlander 28mm Ultron f/1.9 – I’m actually starting to enjoy shooting at 28mm, for a long time I was dismissive of the focal length preferring 35mm or making a substantial jump to the VC 15mm. I have not shot the lens anywhere near enough to speak with authority about it’s finer points but I can actually say that I get it now.
  • Canon 50mm f/1.4 – I guess I learnt most about this lens, thats great as it gets me a little closer to the user report. I’ve held back a few images taken with it on this trip for the report.

So, film heaven or film hell…..? A bit of both I guess!! 🙂

• Bruce Esplin says:

The colour images are excellent – but I still love the B&W conversion – full of contrast and drama!!

• Andrew says:

I like that Canon lens….very nice. Looking forward to your review.

As we have already spoken (thanks for the tip on the processing!) i am looking forward to seeing what solution you come up with for scanning. The V700 or V750 probably ok for someone like me and Optic 120 gets a good wrap though is $2000 and issues with the software. At this stage you can’t use Silverfast!

Hi Andrew

Things are looking very good from the Canon 50/1.4, I shot it yesterday with a model on both the Monochrom and M9. Results will be on here in a few weeks as I already have my next 2 posts done…

Re: Scanner, there isn’t going to be an ideal option….I won’t be getting a Flextight X5 or a Fuji SP3000 unfortunately!!

The V700 or V750 are certainly contenders, I’m not ruling out the OpticFilm 120 at this point but we’ll have to see.

• InFrame says:

Fantastic photos Jason. On scanning have you considered scanning as a TIFF? I have found that this format gives better results and then save the edited version as a Jepg. I’ve had B&W shots from the Leica MP with 50mm Summicron give stunning results in comparison to my Canon 5DIII with 50mm 1.2L.(I.e Image rendering/quality/look etc) Would love to see your thoughts and comparison to digital verse scanned neg especially if you go a new scanner option. I think Epson V700 or V750 would have to be the best but I know it all comes down to dollars. Keep up the good work 🙂

Hey Paris,

I am scanning as TIFF at the moment, these are just JPEG conversions for the web. Lot’s of people in favour of the Espon’s – I would stretch up to $2k but film is already a very expensive hobby….:-)

Cheers mate.

• James says:

Hiya,… Having recently given up digital in favour of film again I love what you have achieved here…
    Beautiful images.
    I am in love with astia but I am struggling with scanning… Bigtime, I have had to settle with copying film with a DSLR, so ill be watching this blog closely to see what you end up discovering with scanning

Hi James

Thanks, the truth is they could be so much better if I can resolve the scanning issue, I would really have liked to have posted these images larger to show the quality but I can’t. Despite being able to see all that detail and sharpness in the negatives…..hence the film hell!!

My first Astia experience and I love it 🙂

I am determined to get the results I want though so keep following.

Tremendous images (as usual). I suspect if you get a MF scanner, you will fall in love with the dynamic range and quality that this larger film provides. Having seen others comment on the MF look of MM files, I look forward to your experience with these dueling media.

Also, your childhood comment brings to mind the time-capsule these family film images will provide future generations. Label and store your film well. Film is the original RAW format. It will be priceless to someone in the future.

Thank you John.

I am certainly considering a MF scanner, all options are still on the table….It would certainly be interesting to compare good quality MF scans and the MM files.

I think I touched on that in a previous post, you’re absolutely correct, I must be more diligent with my film archive….:-)

Thanks, Jason.

• Peter Mayer says:

Teriffic landscape. Wonderful shots. The lenses seem to perform excellent. The b & w conversion photo is the most beautiful one. You are living in a wonderful country. I was almost shooting digital and more rarely on film mostly with a Yasuhara T 981 a LTM Leica clone camera with interchangable lenses ond now I discover an old Zeiss Contaflex of the mid 60.

Best wishes from the cold and windy Hamburg

Yours

Peter Mayer

Hi Peter,

Welcome to my website and thanks for the encouragement.

I’m drawn to the B&W also! All the lenses performed well, certainly I’m really encouraged by the recent images taken with the Canon 50/1.4.

Thanks for introducing me to the Yasuhara T 981, I have just been reading about it – HERE I have always been a fan of the Zeiss Contaflex but never owned one.

I have one residing memory of Hamburg and it was cold and windy….:-)

• Bram Platel says:

Hi Jason, I just stumbled upon your website. To scan film from my M7, I bought a Plustek 8200i AI scanner. I must say I really like it. It is limited to 35mm film or slides, so nothing larger, but the price is good and the quality is excellent in my opinion.

Hi Bram,

Welcome, that’s interesting, everything is still open for consideration at the moment, I’d love to see some scans from your Plustek 8200i.

• Gabor says:

Superb images once again. I like most the family shoots, probably because I like to photograph portraits the most, and yeah they really have some old school holiday memories feeling.
    I am very interested in your journey of finding a better scanning solution, as you know I have a same scanner and apparently the same problems as you. I am also trying to find the best path (away from the ancient canon) , and of course I will share my findings for you.

Oh, and I am a bit envy because of the weather over there. Cheers, Gábor

Hey Gabor,

Thanks my friend, I knew you would see that in the family shots because I always see it in your people images 🙂

There is nothing I would like more than to resolve the scanner scenario and share that info with you and anyone else that was interested.

• Garrick says:

Great Shots Jason. Man I used to be crazy about Velvia & Provia. Haven’t shot it for years – even have a couple of rolls I shot undeveloped I found the other day, looking forward to shooting some on my M6 when it arrives.

Do you get Film Soup to do your B&W processing as well or do you do that yourself?

Hi Garrick,

Thanks, it’s easy to see the appeal of these films, I’m gutted to be coming to them so late in the day!! You’re going to love that M6, where did you order it from?

I have been doing my own B&W simply because I wanted to learn, I do have some projects in the pipeline that are B&W MF that I will be sending to Film Soup though. I’d highly recommend their services.

• Avesh says:

Great post I particularly like image 3.
    As you know I’m waiting on delivery of a few items to begin my long dive into the dangerous waters of Leica.
    A quick question, how do you find the metering of the M6 compares to that of the M9?

Looking forwars to future posts!

Avesh.

Hi Avesh,

Thanks, I personally think image 3 would be stronger in B&W, maybe I will have a go.

You must be getting excited now the M has started to ship, can I ask where you ordered from? My Leica dealer is overseas.

In response to your question, I don’t shoot the cameras differently, not knowingly at least….

I’m currently almost 4 posts ahead now which is the most organised I’ve been since I started this, if I can get that up to 10 I would be delighted!! 🙂

• Avesh says:

I’m currently at the top of the Photowarehouse’s list, every store I spoke to claimed to sell more Leica gear than any other, however the person I dealt with here was by far the friendliest and most organised. The 35 and 50 Summiluxes are already in store and being held for me. Itching to get the camera now!

The most optimistic guess I’ve had is the end of the month for the first shipment to arrive in NZ.

I’ll let you know what my experience is like!

Who do you use for your gear? Mayfair? Easy to deal with?

Avesh.

Hi

That’s good, I’ve always been wary of ordering from NZ because we seem to get everything last……I use Leica Mayfair, they have been very good to me.

Photo Warehouse I use for chemicals, Photo & Video International in Christchurch are brilliant though and I’ve used them quite a bit recently for Pocketwizards, Nikon lenses etc, always quick to respond and friendly, ask for Greg.

Well, it’s good your lenses are in but that must be making the wait even more painful!!

• Avesh says:

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll keep that in mind.
            For my Canon gear I’ve used a company called ‘Smifu’ (www.smifu.com)also based in Christchurch and very friendly to deal with, stock comes in from Hong Kong and I’ve had zero hassles and got great prices. There must be something in the water in Christchurch! Ask for Mark 🙂

With the Leica gear I opted to buy locally as it’s the most expensive camera purchase I’ve made (and am likely to make for the forseeable future, unless I get a good deal on a 90/2!) and I wanted to be as sure as possible there’d be no warranty issues with the camera or lenses.

Good things take time I hear! But yes, the 35 1.4L makes me itch to be able to try out the 35 Summilux, especially now with a recently arrived first child environmental portraits have become more important to me. At the moment the Canon 50 1.2L is far and away my favourite lens, so I’m looking forward to seeing how the 50 Summilux performs!

-Avesh.

Thanks, as it happens I have been helped out again today by Photo & Video International the kind of help you’d get from a mate as opposed to a store, spectacular customer service.

See how you go with the 50 Lux first but you may want to consider the 1.4x magnifier which I manage to use on my M9/MM with lenses 50mm upwards.

Cheers, Jason

• Anjolie Lanel says:

Congratulations on having that wonderful shot selected by Leica Fotographie International! Truly stunning set of images Jason! Shot #2 is really one of those “wow” shots for me. That Canon lens is very nice indeed especially in shot #8 – absolutely wonderful. And your B&W conversion is very dramatic!

I had wondered with all the lenses you own, it must be terribly hard to figure out which one(s) you would take with you when you’re out shooting. How do you even decide?

I am a perfectionist in some ways, but not with my scanner. I like my images to have an imperfect look to them and so my scanner is the more budget oriented Epson V500, which isn’t a bad scanner actually. However I have heard the V750 is really the way to go if you’re looking for top notch image scans at home. I really look forward to your report (and images) for the Canon 50mm 1.4!

Best wishes, Anjie

Hi Anjie,

Thanks very much!

The Canon lens is a little cracker, I got some lovely images with it at the weekend and I’m currently working on them as part of the User Report.

With regards to the lenses, I have a ridiculously unnecessary amount of glass, an embarrassment of riches I guess. My curiosity drives me to try them, I will eventually rationalise the line up because as you say picking what I use can sometimes be more difficult than capturing the image! 🙂

I think we’re similar, I am a perfectionist also, I like the idea of the images being imperfect so long as they can be perfect if I want them to be…….gosh, does that make sense!!

• Dana Smith says:

Hello,

Thoroughly enjoy your photos and comments. I have (somewhat) recently begun shooting with film (again), almost all medium format with older cameras, though I am a far more occasional photographer than you. I use a Canon 8800f scanner, the direct predecessor to the 9000f you are using. I’ve struggled with the quality issues of scanning in negatives as I feel that a medium format negative should deliver sharper results than what I am getting post scan, even with the older cameras I am using. Likewise, I have scanned in some negatives I developed back in the late 1980s when I was using new/current day medium format cameras and am also not satisfied with the scans. I have toyed with the idea of upgrading to the Epson V700 flat bed scanner, but I am not convinced I will see great improvement over my Canon 8800f (not to mention the $600+ price tag of the V700). I will say that I sent a handful of my negatives to a professional photo lab and had them scanned at high resolution on the lab’s high end professional scanner. Subsequently I compared the lab’s digital output with those of my own, for the same negative, enlarging them greatly side by side on my computer monitor. And while I suppose you’d have to say the professional lab’s scans are better than my own form the Canon 8800f, it is not by very much AT ALL. Alas, the quest continues . . .

Dana Smith

Thanks Dana I appreciate that.

I’m making progress, slowly but surely and I will post something on my chosen route once it’s decided. It can be immensely frustrating……

Watch this space 🙂

• Umberto says:

No doubt! … Film heaven.
    Thank you Jason.
    Umberto

Hi Umberto,

Thank you for that.

By the way, the Canon 50/1.4 ltm User Report is underway, not too much longer!!

• Luiz Paulo says:

Beautifull landscapes Jason! It seems very sharp in web dimensions.

I had a drum scanner for a while (many years ago) — a Linotype HELL Chromagrap 3400. 🙂 Awesome performance but twice the size of a laundry machine…

Hey Luiz,

Yes, just about ok at these sizes but that is all.

Ha, that sounds like some device!!! 🙂

Best wishes, Jason.

• Luiz Paulo says:

was the best scanner ever made. But now it’s past — unfortunately the digital era made it unprofitable. I believe the top scanner still in production is the hasselblad x series.

Indeed Luiz, there are actually very few scanners being produced now as there is little commercial gain in the market. My choices of new machine are actually quite limited, if I take a chance with used there are more options. Or maybe I will do something less mainstream and look at photographing my negs….the jury is still out as they say. 🙂

I’d love to throw caution to the wind and get a IMACON but it’s not going to happen…..sigh

• Luiz Paulo says:

I love to watch slides on the light table. 🙂 It’s one of more beautiful medias in my opinion. Getting a professional scanner even used I don’t think worth the time money etc (of course the scanner I had wasn’t for my own use). Sending to good bereau service would an idea?

Your quite right, there is a limit. I don’t mind the time element as I have plenty, I need to find something I can live with and maybe on occasion outsource the scans I want to improve upon. I’ve been shown the results from a dedicated film scanner today that was purchased in 2003 and is far superior to my flatbed.

• Luiz Paulo says:

You’re right. It’s handy to have one for daily use. My father has an Agfa DuoScan HiD wich is working pretty well more 10 years after he purchased it used. It’s flatbed but does a good job.

From what I’ve witnessed with the Canon CanoScan FS4000 a couple of days ago the older film scanners were extremely capable. I am slowly forming an opinion.

Thanks for your input Luiz.

• Michael Kay says:

These photos look really nice. Digital doesn’t do colour like this, does it? I prefer film too – Velvia and Provia mostly. Almost all of my Flickr is shot with old cameras and these films (there are some negative film images too – I tried them and didn’t really like them).

The photos are all scanned with my V750 Pro. I bought it because it did MF as well as 35mm. I’ve been impressed. I use the included SilverFast 8 Ai Studio, then Apple’s Aperture once I’ve done the scans.

This one shows the potential on a 6×9 slide – http://www.flickr.com/photos/in2classics/8406326950/in/photostream

This one is Monochrome from Velvia – http://www.flickr.com/photos/in2classics/8382965439/in/set-72157632530634586

I think the scanner is worth your consideration.

Like your photos and your website too. Quality stuff. Keep up the good work.

Michael

Hi Michael

Thanks very much, these particular films are new to me but they are indeed quite magical. I have briefly looked at your Flickr and I love it, I will get back on later and continue to look through it.

I have Silverfast 8 SE but I understand that 8 Ai Studio does ship with certain products, not sure if that is the case with the V750 Pro.

A few people have mentioned this scanner and from what i have just seen on your Flickr it is absolutely worthy of consideration and has delivered some excellent results in your hands.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my site but also for passing on your valued opinion on the scanner.

I’ll keep you posted.

• Michael Kay says:

Thanks Jason for your response. SilverFast 8 Ai ships with the V750 Pro (in England at least) you can also buy as an optional extra a ‘wet mount’ kit. I have one but haven’t used it yet. People say that it does enable you to get the film really flat when scanning MF (but it is messy to use). I’ve had no film flatness issues with 35mm slides. So this hasn’t been a problem with dry mounted film for me, but 6×9 film is harder to keep flat due to its size – 6×6 is easier.

There is a company in America that sells ‘replacement’ film holders for the Epson, which are better made and less flimsy than the included Epson ones – I like the idea of them and may buy some eventually. They are well regarded online (http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/vseries.html). I have no connection either to Epson or to them.

The V700 is I understand largely the same as the V750 – one difference being the SilverFast version included. It also says that the V750 Pro has “High pass optics for better edge sharpness” in the brochure. When I bought mine (Nov 11) it said that the glass used on the scan bed had extra coatings, or something. The actual lenses inside the 2 scanners were (and I assume still are), exactly the same.

All the scans on my Flickr were done at higher resolution but reduced to 1600 (max length) for the longest side before I added them to Flickr. I have had 10 of them professionally printed to 12″ x 18″ and the resulting photographs are perfectly sharp.

I haven’t found a scanner though that makes a good job of the colours on negative film – they all seem to get the colours off, in my opinion. But slide film is easy and the colours produced are accurate I feel. If you do get the Epson, I’d be happy to tell you my workflow – I’m not claiming it is better than any other, but I think it works well for me.

Regards,

Michael

Thanks, once again for the info.

I can get hold of a V700 easily in NZ, the V750 may just take a little more time. I have several of the negs I used in this post currently being scanned for me at Photo & Video International as a fovour to allow me to compare.

The differences you’ve mentioned in the models all ties up nicely with what I read in my research last night. I was wary of another flatbed initially but your scan’s have put my mind to rest and this is definitely a contender.

In terms of your workflow I would definitely be interested, ultimately people will always have different opinions, what’s important is what works for you, this clearly does. 🙂

Thanks again for the time you’ve put in to these replies.

• Nikos says:

amazing photos. cant’ wait to see your scanner solution , as i have a lot of negatives ready to be scanned.
    thanks for your real world information.

Hi Nikos

Aplogies for the delay in approving your post, my iMac is in for repair……

Thanks for the kind words, I will be posting something on the solutions I find, it’s looking there is going to be more than one of them 🙂

• Dave Powell says:

A great set of images Jason. I just recently bought a bunch of Astia off of eBay. A friend gave me a roll a few months ago to shoot and I have been hunting for more ever since. I am interested in seeing your scanning workflow. I just wrote mine up tonight: http://shoottokyo.com/2013/03/19/rescanned-wandering-tokyo/ after some tips from a friend.

BTW – We have a lot of the same cameras but you have some beautiful ones in your collection I don’t have. I love some of the russian ones you have…

Hi Dave, thanks.

Astia is wonderful and viewing the positive negs is an absolute joy it really makes you appreciate the detail thats being captured and hence increases your expectation from the scans….the pieces are slowly falling in to place and hopefully I will be posting my workflow soon and with more than one solution.

I’ve just read your post, it really emphasises the importance of good scanning technique over everything else, the results are greatly improved.

One big positive about the Soviet cameras is they are cheap…..and the quality is better than some would have you believe, certainly they are usable and fun.

• Afiq says:

Hi, can I use your 1st picture as my desktop wallpaper? It’s beautiful.

• Edward says:

Hello Jason,

I have both the Canoscan 9000f and the Plustek 7600i ( 35mm dedicated scanner )

I was getting poor results using 9000f for 35mm negatives.
    The sharpness from the Plustek 7600i were alot more acceptable to me and have now ditched the Canoscan 9000f for 35mm negatives and only use it for MF scans.

If you get a chance to try a Plustek, You will immediately notice the difference. Obviously there are better ones out there with a bigger price tag but imo, I’m happy with what the Plustek is giving me.

I use Vue Scan to obtain a RAW file based on this guide. http://benneh.net/techshit/vuescan-colorperfect-a-guide/

Hope you continue to shoot film!

Greetings Edward,

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences here. It’s good to know the Plustek gives good results.

In terms of the Canoscan 9000f, in my experience its certainly not a 35mm scanner, although it does give acceptable results in MF. Funnily enough I have seen a few good 35mm scans from others but the consensus seems to be that there are tolerances in the models, certainly mine focused better when the negatives were closer to the glass and out of the holder.

I’ve followed that link previously with Vuescan using the 9000f and it did give a noticeable improvement, admittedly I have not tried it since for one reason or another. When I get around to shooting some decent film images again I will push on with the scanner posts.

Thanks again.

• […] If you had the same problem or simply want to read more about the topic, I can recommend you the great article of Jason Howe who has the same scanner and problems as I have: Film Heaven or Hell……? […]

• […] earlier in the year when I travelled to Hawkes Bay (Film Heaven or Hell) I made a decision to take only film cameras. Since then I’ve fallen back in to the habit of […]

• […] A Log Day which were scanned on the REFLECTA PRO 7200. You can read why I left the Canoscan 9000f HERE and the direction I’ve taken with scanning […]