A Film Legacy – Pt 2

By November 26, 2012 Blog, Film, Guest Post

Several weeks ago I posted the first part of this series by the late amateur photographer Roland G Phillips-Turner, the images were extremely well received and needless to say this pleased me immeasurably. I really felt a justification on behalf of the family for permitting the use of the images and my subsequent decision to spend both time and money in making these available for wider viewing. Now as promised I am able to share with you the second installment from the series along with more of my thoughts.

For anyone that missed it the first part of this guest post can be found here – A Film Legacy – Pt 1

In my initial post, along with showcasing some of my favorite images I talked predominantly about how this little discovery came to fruition. I also explained, how in my opinion these finds would become increasingly unlikely in the future as many of us store digital media on our various electronic devices. In truth I wasn’t entirely sure where I would go with the second installment but this week I’ve had cause to give more thought to those who have shared these images with us and the circumstances under which they have done so.

Slide 10 – Hasselblad 500c – KODAK EKTACHROME slides013Slide 11 – Hasselblad 500c – KODAK EKTACHROME slides006Whilst I am clearly no “spring chicken” I am the product of a generation that has grown up with computers and technology, as a 12/13 year old boy I would sit for hours on end programming my ZX81 to perform the most simplistic of tasks, from this point on there has always been a computer in my life. Now, whilst this makes me part of the first generation to enjoy the benefits of computer technology,  it also means I’m incredibly comfortable with it. As such, when I made a decision to take  my own photography more seriously it was an easy and obvious step to utilise the technologies I was so familiar with. Photo Sharing websites, my own Blog along with various forms of Social Media were all easy to put in place and I have no major reservations about sharing my images in them. But……

Slide 12 – Hasselblad 500c – AGFACOLOR DIA slides007Slide 13 – Hasselblad 500c – KODAK EKTACHROME slides004What if that were not the case though? what if I was older still, of the previous generation, or indeed the generation before that and computers weren’t second nature to me, if the internet and social media were things that potentially concerned me, then how would I feel? Let’s look beyond this for a moment and add some further reservations, say the images in question weren’t my own, but were the work of a deceased loved one unable to voice an opinion. Not forgetting of course that the person wanting to display them online (ME) is to all intents and purposes a complete stranger to you. It’s only then, when you factor all of this information together that one can fully appreciate both how brave  a decision it was to share these images and how lucky we are to be able to view them.

Slide 14 – Hasselblad 500c – AGFACOLOR DIA slides009Slide 15 – Hasselblad 500c – AGFACOLOR DIA slides017Regretfully, I didn’t have the pleasure of knowing the photographer behind these images, though I wish very much that I had done so. What I do know is that through these images I have to some lesser degree gotten to know him, at least photographically. I know what he liked to photograph and to a point I’m able to see how he went about  it. I also know this, like many of us he loved film photography dearly. I’m prompted to give thought to the current plight of film, our photographers films of choice are now obsolete, others could soon follow, I wonder what he would make of this?

Slide 16 – Hasselblad 500c – AGFACOLOR DIA slides005Slide 17 – Hasselbald 500c – AFACOLOR DIA slides012I was motivated to publish these images for several reasons, primarily I thought they were of both photographic and historic interest, secondly I felt the photographer, Roland G Phillips-Turner and indeed his family were deserving of recognition in the only form I could provide, by placing it alongside my own work online. There was however another equally important rationale for showcasing these images and it takes us back to the medium of film. I am certain that if making these images available online through various blogs and social media ignites a passion to discover film in just one person, then the photographer behind these images would see this as a truly worthwhile endeavor, I wholeheartedly believe that.

Slide 18 – Hasselblad 500c – AGFACOLOUR DIA slides002Slide 19 – Hasselblad 500c – AGFACOLOR DIA  JHSlides-19I see it, at least I believe and hope I do…….., what do I see? I see film consolidating, sure film’s are still slowly but surely disappearing, yet at the same time there are certainly more people shooting film than there have been in the past few years at least. Will this slow reawakening be enough to ensure it’s long term survival, I really don’t know but we definitely have reason to hope. I believe these images really portray the photographers sense of adventure, they afford us a brief insight in to New Zealand life from several decades ago. I sincerely hope people can draw inspiration from them as I have for they are surely a testament to the virtues of film.

Slide 20 – Hasselblad 500c – KODAK EKTACHROME slides003Slide 21 – Hasselblad 500c – FILM UNKNOWN JHSlides-14These images, only previously shared by those closest to the photographer have now been enjoyed by thousands of people, thanks to the generosity of the photographers family, who had the courage and foresight to allow me to share these with you.

• Bob Rhodes says:

Great post Jason, I love the detail and colour in these images. Thanks for sharing them with us, I’m sure the photographer would be very happy about you posting them….. but as for me shooting film… you are preaching to the converted mate.! (but you know that).

Thanks Bob, I’m pleased you enjoyed these images, I realise I’m preaching to the converted in you….:-) Hopefully these images will produce some more converts! Cheers, Jason.

• Don McConnell says:

More wonderful images! I’m particularly drawn to slide 20, though I’m not entirely sure why! Probably the contrast between the ‘woven’ wall of the hut and the ferns.

I haven’t shot film for a long time but I must admit that this project, plus some of the Lomography stuff I keep seeing, is getting me interested in shooting some B&W film again. I’m wondering if my wife would let me convert one of our cupboards into a darkroom 😮

Many thanks again to Roland’s family for releasing these images and to Jason for showing them.

Don

Thank you Don, thats exactly the kind of reaction I had hoped for. I’ll look forward to hearing from you once you’ve converted that cupboard!! All the best, Jason.

• […] Legacy For anyone thats interested I have just posted the next installment of this feature. A Film Legacy – Pt 2 Cheers Jason. __________________ Website | Twitter | Flickr | […]

• George says:

Hi Jason! I followed this film legacy series and it’s great.

I quite agree about the archival qualities. Digital is a headache to backup and keep (at least to me, being so lazy to it) film is archive and forget. Anyways, having digital as an option is great too; The more the merrier. Sadly, it has made the film niche feel volatile (disconinuing films, kodak affair).
    Even though colour film is prone to fading, It’s wonderful to see how this 40-50 year old slides endured so well (some don’t seem completely perfect but very good).
    My dad used to shoot his trips on Agfachrome in the 70s-80s, I love how slides are and look, that little snippets of life. It’s a window to that context and situation. Medium format slides must be a thrill! Someday I want to get a big MF and get to shoot slide with it, to see it without printing or scanning.

I did even get to shoot kodachrome (one of the last young’uns to do it) in 2010 but after that my film photography output has become 0… Time and budget constraints have kept it there. I do have the wish however.

Hi George

Messages like this really are so satisfying, it’s wonderful to read your experiences and memories of film. The slides aren’t perfect, but I suspect they could had it not been for the climate here, still that said they have held up incredibly well. Thanks for taking the time to read the post and comment. Look out for the next part.

• Josh Perera says:

Wow, slide 16, 17 and slide 12 are just sublime!
    How nice did that Agfa colour render? Beautiful, almost like a painting.
    This guy was an extremely good photographer with a keen eye for composition. These images are inspirational and timeless. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to share Jason.
    I think you may just be successful in inspiring a few more to go try there hand at shooting some film with these fantastic slides.
    Thank you again for sharing. 🙂

Hey Josh.

My favorite of this set is probably slide 12, it’s a bit of a trade mark shot for our tog. It’s a real tragedy that the AGFACOLOR DIA is lost, it really is a beautiful film, one I wasn’t familiar with until seeing these slides. I find the compositions to be simple and extremely effective, making you realise there is no need to over think these things. I’m certainly encouraged by the comments and views and there are certainly more to come. Thanks, Jason.

• […] A Film Legacy – Pt 2 HERE […]

• Greg says:

Fantastic post Jason. The images are great and they really transport you back in time through not only the subject matter, but the feel that you get from the older film stocks. These color/contrast combinations are really things of the past and are sorely missed. Personally, I have been shooting more film lately than I had for many years, and photography has become more fun for me again. It is more thoughtful, less immediate, and I really feel like I have earned the product at the end of the day. I’ll keep coming back to read more so if there is a part 3,4,… keep ’em coming. Greg.

Hi Greg

Thanks very much, its exactly that kind of comment that ensures there will be more of this to come, although hopefully you’ll return when this series is finished. 🙂

I agree completely with your comments, I can only hope that others will at least try the film experience, it will after all only make you a better photographer.

• […] For anyone that missed it the first part of this guest post can be found here – A Film Legacy – Pt 1 & A Film Legacy – Pt 2 […]